Are you using Windows XP and you're tired of staring at that green Start Menu... I have a free alternative for you... Litestep.

Warning: Do not install Litestep if you don't know what you're doing. Only install if you are an advanced user. I will not be explaining how to install Litestep, but I will be going over the basics of what it is and provide links for more information.

In computing, a shell is a piece of software that provides an interface for users. - "Wikipedia"

Litestep uses a small core that loads configurable modules. This allows the users to have a either a full featured desktop with calendars and Winamp controls to a minimalistic Desktop with nothing on it. The major advantage of using Litestep is that you can make or download themes, so if you are a Linux fan that is forced to use Windows, you should that a look at this shell.

The main module you'll use the most is xPopup module. This replaces the green start menu and is used by right clicking anywhere on the desktop.

I've been using Litestep for a few months now and rather enjoy changing the theme of my desktop from time to time. Using forums, I have been able to learn how to modify themes that I have downloaded to look and function the way that I want it to, with a great degree of success.

Before downloading Litestep, please read the forums at http://www.litestep.net/. You'll need to signup to use this forum, but all it requires is an active email account. Also check out the official page at http://www.lsdev.org/.